Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bollinger Special Cuvée

A resounding "pop" announced the opening of tonight's bottle of Bolly ($38.99). An excellent champagne, that offers plenty of toasty and citrus flavors. The Special Cuvée is the non-vintage product of the Bollinger House, which is one of the last independently owned (i.e. non-corporate) Champagne Houses. It was Madame Lily Bollinger who famously quipped: "I drink champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty." Prince Charles served vintage Bolly at his bachelor party and wedding, and the Grand Année Vintage have been a favorite of James Bond since 1973. Bollinger holds a royal warrant to supply the British Royal Family, but then again, so do Mumm, Lanson, Laurent-Perrier, Roederer, Moet & Chandon, Krug, Pol Roger, and Veuve Clicquot.

No comments: